Home » Response To Zollo (Discussion post)

Response To Zollo (Discussion post)

After reading Zollo’s field study I had completely forgotten that it was a field study. Zollo’s vivid use of description and storytelling formatted the field study as if it was a novel. Moreover it felt like I could envision what Zollo was writing as if it was through Zollo’s own eyes. I was very intrigued by the formality of some of the truckers when it came to responding to Zollo’s questions. I had an idea in my mind before reading this field study that truckers were ruthless, fierce, older men who were not keen to conversation. After reading this field study it is apparent I was incorrect. I was also intrigued by the responses of the truckers. Each trucker seemed to speak about the same things in different ways. Not one trucker gave a similar answer to the one before them. Zollo’s voice throughout the field study seemed very friendly and passive. I felt as if I was reading Zollo being on a quest and in order to complete the question Zollo needed to speak to certain truckers. After each encounter Zollo learned more and more. I admired Zollo’s ability to just make a conversation out of nowhere with all these truckers. It was not in a way which made them uncomfortable and in the event that they were uncomfortable Zollo apologized and went on his way to find another person to speak to. Overall this was a very enjoyable read which did not feel like 14 pages at all and I would definitely read more pieces like this.